Slideshow Widget

Maxi Skirt Tutorial

Wednesday, May 15, 2013


Spring is in full swing and I love it!  Something about sunshine, warm weather, and the days getting longer just makes me happy.

Another reason why I love Spring is that I get to ditch my dreary winter wardrobe and break out my spring and summer dresses and skirts.  I really dislike wearing pants.  I don't know why really, maybe I find them a bit uncomfortable, maybe I just think dresses are prettier, or maybe I just hate cold weather.  Okay, it's all of the above.

Anyway, with all of this glorious warm weather, I have been itching to make a new maxi skirt.  These skirts are easy and rather quick to put together and here's how:



What you will need:
  • Your favorite maxi skirt to use as a pattern
  • 1 1/2 - 2 yards of fabric (I prefer using a cotton jersey knit.  I got mine from Girl Charlee)
  • Coordinating thread
  • Sewing Machine
Instructions:
  1. Fold your fabric in half, right sides facing each other.  If you are using a fabric with a pattern like I did, make sure the pattern matches up on both sides.  Take the maxi skirt you are using as a pattern and lay it on top of your folded fabric.  

  2. Cut around the maxi skirt you are using as a pattern, leaving a 1/2" extra on all sides to allow for seam allowances.  Once your skirt is cut, pin the side seams.
  3. Serge or sew up the side seams using a 1/2" seam allowance.  If you do not have a serger, first sew up the side seams using a straight stitch, then sew again with a zig zag stitch to prevent the material from fraying.  
  4. For the waistband, measure the top of the fabric you just cut and double it.  Mine measured 16", so doubled it was 32". Cut a piece of fabric that is 1" smaller than the waist measurement by 16".  My waistband piece was 31" x 16".  
  5. Fold your waistband piece in half, right sides together, and sew (zig zag stitch) or serge up the side to create a tube.  Turn right side out and fold the tube inside of itself until it is in half and the edges of the fabric are lined up.  

  6. Pin your waistband to your skirt, right sides together, at the raw edges.  Once pinned, serge or sew with a zig zag stitch around the skirt using a 1/2" seam allowance. 


  7. Serge along the bottom of the skirt.
  8. Try on your skirt (almost done, yay!) to determine the length of your hem.  Press inward and press the side seams to the back.  Hem the skirt to your desired length using a straight stitch.
  9. Done!  Enjoy your fabulous new skirt and hopefully some sunshine to go with it!
I am in love with my new maxi skirt!  It is my favorite thing in my closet right now, and the best part is I made it myself! Yay!
This tutorial was featured at:

Six Sisters' Stuff



apinchofjoy.com


Photobucket

All Things with Purpose

This tutorial was shared at: huckleberry love, watch out, martha, the blissful bee, not just a housewife, emmy lane, glamorous affordable life, mercy ink, raegun ramblings, dukes and duchesses, the train to crazy, serenity now, the stitchin mommy, mad in crafts, or so she says..., wait till your father gets home, thirty handmade days, live laugh rowe, seven thirty three, and sew we craft, the princess and her cowboys, a pinch of joy, craft-o-maniac , sew many ways, the jenny revolution, the dedicated house, see vanessa craft, a glimpse inside, the winthrop chronicles, home stories a to z, i should be mopping the floor, skip to my lou, petals to picots
More the Merrier Monday



33 Responses to “Maxi Skirt Tutorial”

  1. So cute! I love your choice of fabric. This looks like a seriously easy tutorial, thanks! I'm pinning this!

    Also, this is my first visit to your blog and it's super cute! I liked you on FB and followed you on Pinterest!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you decide to make a maxi skirt, I'd love to see it! I just visited your blog and am now following you! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this skirt! It would be a favorite item in my closet too :) That fabric is just perfect. I am a new follower on Facebook!
    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! Just visited and liked you on facebook as well. That Anthro inspired skirt you made is so cute! :)

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial! Look forward to trying this. I'm a novice seamstress and this seems totally doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a great project for beginners. Just try to find a knit material that isn't too stretchy, as stretchy knits can be a pain to sew. :)

      Delete
  4. This is perfect timing! I've been wanting to make one or several of these skirts. I live in AZ and skirts are so much cooler and more comfy than shorts during our hot summers. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I live in Southern CA and while it is not as hot as AZ, these skirts are definitely great for hot summers! If you make one I'd love to see it :)

      Delete
  5. I love maxi skirts! We would love you to share this at our On Display LInky party http://www.theprincessandhercowboys.com/2013/06/on-display-monday-7.html

    Have a good one and thanks for sharing!

    Britney @ The Princess & Her Cowboys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Britney! I love maxis too :) Headed your way to link up now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Going to pin it : ) You can never have too many maxis. Found you at Lil Luna link party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your striped skirt. Pinned to my style board! I'm refashioning a striped maxi dress to a skirt some time soon. Now i can't decide between an elastic band waist or the elastic thread i bought to do this:)
    http://pinterest.com/pin/452752568759731756/

    Stop by http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/folk-art-fabric-flag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love that anthro skirt! I love how the elastic thread looks but I hate using elastic thread, lol. Stopping by your blog now! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Very cute!!! I love maxi skirts for the summer. Stopping by from Sugar and Dots linky party and a follower.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2013/06/update-and-es-lounge-pants.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Alisha! Thank you for stopping by! I am following your blog on bloglovin' :)

      Delete
  10. Ok so your maxi looks SO much better on you than mine does on me! :-) I absolutely love it! You did a great job with the stripes. Thanks for linking up at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy, though I am sure yours looks great too! :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. Quick and easy! I love it :)
    Found you via And Sew We Craft ... Cass x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is super easy to make. I am already on the hunt for fabric to make another! :)

      Delete
  12. Just LOVE your maxi skirt! It turned out beautifully and looks great on you. I'm gonna make me one asap! Thanks! Stopping by from ALl Things Pretty Linky!

    Christine :)
    http://www.myepicureanadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! If you do make one, let me know! I 'd love to see it! :)

      Delete
  13. So cute. I need to sew a pile for my wardrobe ... they're so cool for hot summer days. Thanks for linking up to Project Inspire{d}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, they are great for summer! Think I need to make a few more!

      Delete
  14. So glad to have found this since making maxi skirts is something I plan to do for the fall/winter months of my pregnancy...thanks for the tutorial! I'll be pinning it.

    Visiting you from More the Merrier Monday...your link was just ahead of mine!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement GROUP Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following on Bloglovin & Pinterest.

      Helen

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear it! This will definitely be great for maternity clothes! I'm following you also! :)

      Delete
  15. so easy! and i love girl charlee knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great?! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Alyssa,

    Super cute maxi! I'm in love of how stylish yet comfortable they are. Great tutorial. :)

    Thank you for the mention.

    ~Janet http://www.girlcharlee.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! I love your shop! :)

      Delete
  17. Saw this on Tasteful Tuesdays--This is such a great tutorial! I haven't done much sewing, but recently inherited a sewing machine...I may just have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! You should definitely try it, it is a great project for beginners! :)

      Delete